Sunday, 16 August 2026

Eclipse Unseen {Week 33}

I'm a changed man. The heatstroke has finally done irreparable damage. Blogging on a Sunday! Posting on that same Sunday night? Like something else that happened this week, this may be a one-in-a-decade phenomena. Alright, this may not last but it makes me feel pretty good to blog on a schedule. It's been an a-okay week. Some things happened on time even! That's a good prognosis.

Week 33.

Terrible Monday. Got gut punched by my period, pleasantly, in the middle of the night. The compounding heatwave left me on the brink. I spent most of the time in the shower or on the couch downstairs, in our only room with an AC. Gathered everyone to watch Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. Yeah, Tony's not screening anywhere near me in the foreseeable future. Fuck A24! Or fuck UGC or CGR! I don't know fuck who but fuck someone!

So I've had knowledge of Anthony Bourdain kind of second-hand most of my life. When we lived in China one of our friend's had a satellite that let you watch all sorts of US and European TV stations. We mainly perused Cartoon Network, the Disney Channel, and Nickelodeon. Adult Swim on the rare, private occasion. This is when Star Wars wasn't engulfed by The Mouse yet and Clone Wars aired on Cartoon Network (which no offense to the babies who stuck to Disney and the brats who loved Nickelodeon, but CN was the shit).

Anyway, eventually the hour would come when the adults wanted their shit back and we either stuck around or went off to play on our PSPs or something. Well, we led more exciting lives back then, so we may have gone and broken into some empty houses or filmed a found-footage movie about teleporting ancient artifacts (this is because we thought that pressing 'stop recording', moving to a new spot and hitting 'record' again was a genius editing technique that totally looked like teleportation!). The grown-ups loved a travel show or a cooking show, usually Master Chef or Hell's Kitchen or something else high stakes and dramatic. Anthony Bourdain shows seemed very down to earth, political, and confusing next to the expletives, flames, and seemingly endless competition. But it was the best of its kind in hind-sight.

We used to watch a lot of travel shows, even a few years back, before we came to France. I think the forced move really soured the taste of that. But I guess it's back because we had a good time. If you've seen Parts Unknown, did Anthony Bourdain visit your country? How close did he come to your hometown?

Big, big day on Tuesday! My tablet, my beautiful, perfect Huion Kamvas Pro 16 V2 arrived! I instantly unpacked it and plugged everything in. Listen, I'm a firm believer that the hardware is not nearly as important as the skill of an artists, you can make total masterpieces on a piece of shit Bamboo. However... a good tablet does make it easier. I tried it out for about an hour but sadly the cramps got to me. I let my brother mess around on it and apparently he saw God. I believe it.

She's beautiful!

Two screens!

Wednesday was the day of the eclipse. Very exciting stuff. Except we are so unorganized we didn't get any glasses. I watched my mum do... something to a piece of cardboard and foil for an hour. Like, just give up. It's not happening for us. 

Me and Mo went out onto our roof to, and I know this is against all recommendations, peek at the eclipse. Don't do it! I know I did, but I'm an idiot! I threw only a few glances and mostly kept my eyes not just pointed away, but covered. See, the thing is, the eclipse covers the perceived brightness, but the sun's rays will still penetrate your now dilated eyeballs (because they think it's dark) and ruin your retinas. So, I was cowering away for most of it unlike my brother, who climbed the highest peak of the roof and looked outwards. 


He thinks he's the king of the junjle.

I'm telling him, stop looking directly at the sun, it will seriously damage your retinas! He merely smiled back at me before turning his stupid, smug face back to the huge ball of fire in the sky, careless to the future he carves for himself.

Children know!

Luckily the situation was not that bad and no temporary or permanent blindness was suffered. Also the eclipse kind of sucked! It wasn't even partial for us, the moon barely grazed the bottom of the sun and it got just a little darker for like a minute. Disappointing! Apparently, there will be one visible in Spain next year, so maybe we can make a trip out of it. Thursday, same shit. Well... minus the eclipse! That would be insane!

Friday was awesome. Free shit Friday! My mum's been doing an apprenticeship with a very old dude in town who's a master at furniture renovation. He's been meaning to get rid of a lot of stuff, the dude's a hoarder, and luckily some of it made it our way. I'll post about it on the fashion blog later but there were some really great things, especially some coats and pants for autumn and winter. My sister also got this old Sony handycam but sadly it's busted. I fiddled with it but it's doing a weird thing in the viewfinder I wasn't able to find a solution to. Here's a video of how cool the cassette slot is and the weird viewfinder thing, set to Braid's Killing A Camera (too on the nose?) so you don't have to listen to my siblings scream at the Xbox in the background. 

The cats also traumatized themselves by breaking a shelf in our little entry nook. Yoshi didn't come downstairs all day and in his rush to escape broke a nail. Luckily there was no blood and it was just the outside part.

Saturday was the day of all days. The busiest of days. The craziest! It started with a very early trip to the flea market/brocante. It was a sizeable one, a bit low on tech but lots of other good stuff, especially clothes and house stuff.


Kylie fucking who?!


Magical trash alley.

I had the nicest moment with these two girls at their booth. I stopped by and one of them gave me a paper, she just said it's for me and it was a small sketch of me! Riffling through stuff like a rat! It was such a sweet gift, I thanked her profusely. 

It's-a me!

When we got home, we took a little time off then walked to the other park outside of town for the car show. It was awesome, and since my brother recognized most of the European and American models I just had him tour-guide me all over the place. Only sometimes I could be like 'Ah! Mazda!' and that's about it. 







There he is: the most wanted!



Me with the vans.

Van!

Due to miscommunication however, we had to cut the trip short as we locked our mum out of the house and had to go back. Plus, we had a movie seance at Tom's at 2PM.

Naomi also showed up for our re-watch of Frozen and Frozen II. I think they are alright movies. I was never really into the Frozen story. I think Disney stopped hitting sometime after WALL-E. I'm old and lame. Tom hasn't seen Treasure Planet or Sinbad though, which is actually a crime of some sort. That will be our next double-feature!

I kept the box from the tablet because Simona likes it.


Nap in the socks.

Melting some more on Sunday. I've been a bit busy finishing up scans of my old notebooks and sketchbooks this week. The fires made me realize that I'd just lose everything easy if something were to happen so it'd be nice to have some digital backups of my oldest memories. 

The end...

And so this crazy week was over. Celestial phenomena. Trinkets and memorabilia. Fast cars. And then some!

This Week I'm Excited For...

I'm making next week 'managing a bunch of stuff' week. I have so many random tasks that need doing, so hopefully I'll knock all of it out next week. Then I may have some time for my comic beyond next week.

Song Of The Week... 

So I've been really, really enjoying Failure this week. Greatest band name ever? Perhaps. Fantastic Planet is a perfect album, top to bottom. I'm picking Saturday Savior as my song of the week this time, it's just got such a heavy and gravelly chorus. It's unreal!

No comments:

Post a Comment